Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Meeting the mayor

Hello!

Sorry for the lack of updates--it has been a looong couple of days, punctuated by sickness (I'm better now, though!) and lack of Internet access (I'm typing this on my iPod touch while sitting in my hotel window trying to catch a very weak wifi signal).

Yesterday was unexpected but fun. We got to meet with Guanajuato's city council members and hear about how they run the city, the education system, social services, and so on. Then we met the mayor! He was accompanied by several photographers and a video camera, and our group's picture was suposedly in the newspaper today. The mayor was very gracious and took us to lunch at a beautiful restaurant on the town's main plaza.

That evening, we took part in the most unique musical event I think I've ever witness. I can't remember the name for the type of act--I think it's estudiantivo or something--but it's basically an all-male band of minstrels in old-timey dress playing traditional mexican folk songs. Instead of playing in a theater or plaza, they walk all around the city and the crowd follows them. It's a pretty great experience to hear wonderful music while watching the evening sun light up the hills. On top of all that, the musicians are pretty boisterous and there is a lot of wine involved--at one point, the lead singer went around squirting wine into peoples' mouths from a wine skin! At that point, I was still sick, so I was nursing a bottle of water, but it was still pretty entertaining.

I've spent about as much time as I can stand typing on my iPod, so I'll write more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment